Lviv Grand Hotel
DESIGN PROPOSAL FOR A SHOPPING CENTER COMPRISING A CONFERENCE HALL AND HOTEL ROOMS (MANAGED BY GRAND HOTEL LVIV). 2020, LVIV
The design proposal for the multifunctional building on the Doroshenka str. is based on 5 ambitions :
1. A project for the regeneration of the city centre, improving the quality of the whole urban block by the introduction of new functions and public spaces, increasing the pedestrian experience of Lviv´s city centre and promoting its urban regeneration.
2. An example of respectful integration of high standard contemporary architecture into a historical setting, achieving a harmonious marriage with the beautiful architecture of Lviv´s city center.
3. A new vibrant destination in Lviv, for all different people, both for visitors and guests of the Grand Hotel as well as for Lviv´s neighbors, avoiding social barriers.
4. A flexible and efficient building, that can be adapted to different commercial scenarios and based on a clear an clean structural disposition that enables changes of use and adaptation in its lifecycle.
5. A sustainable and cost efficient building.
A building designed to reduce the energy consumption by arranging a passive climate control spaces, and with a modular construction system that reduces the costs.
Urban strategy and layout
The proposed design seeks to create a “porous” building that is accessible to visitors and citizens by expanding the existing public space of the Doroshenka str, into a network of courtyards and small squares, with new vegetation, trees, sitting areas and program in the groundfloor of the building.
This network will be interlaced with the the Haussmann Passage creating a pedestrian promenade of cozy atmosphere separated from the noise of traffic, with cafes, restaurants and terrace. The new network of public spaces will enhance the development of business and commerces, and the renewal of the nearby buildings , with the consequent upgrading of the whole block. The network of public spaces is complemented with the renovation of the existing square , and with the redesign of the Doroshenka str. into a pedestrian street without car traffic and only the tram line and bike path.
PROJECT: Design proposal for a shopping center comprising a conference hall and hotel rooms (managed by Grand Hotel Lviv)
STATUS: International Competition
SIZE: 5200 m2
CLIENT: Municipality of Lviv
AUTHORS: Juan Tur, Nazar Dutko
COLLABORATORS: Ilya Kruglyak